HISTORY OF DEVELOPMENT OF INVERCARGILL AIRPORT
The land, on which the Invercargill Aiport is situated, was reclaimed from the New River estuary in the early 1900’s.
The initial land for airport development was purchased in 1934 and the airport was constructed during World War 2 for use as an emergency aerodrome for the military.
The first commercial aircraft operation was on 6th November 1944 when passenger services to Dunedin were introduced by union Airways using Lockheed Electra aircraft. Later the services were undertaken by NAC, a NZ government owned airline, using as De Havilland Dominie Aircraft.
Further significant events and dates are as follows: